2020 was not a great year for a number of reasons, however one thing it did give everyone was extra time. With so much extra time I had on my hands, I found 2020 such and big year in terms of my personal growth. I Realising things and people in life that actually make me happy and add value to my life. A couple of 2020 musings/learnings below:
- Get 8 hours sleep – 2020 was the year I realised just how much not getting 8 hours sleep effects my mood, productivity and performance.
- There are some really beautiful places in England – 2020, otherwise known as the year of the staycation! I visited so many places in the UK that I’d never visited before, Christchurch, Weymouth, Devon, Lyme Regis. I never realised just quite how stunning the beaches were!
- The best things in life are free – Being outdoors and laughter. I think I spent more time outdoors in 2020 than I have ever done before and it was great.
- Do spontaneous things once in a while – the adrenaline is too good
- I can’t deal with hangovers – self explanatory.
- Same + same = same – if you want things to change, but you don’t change, don’t expect change.
- Cycling isn’t just for middle aged men – well, mostly it is. But I found SO much enjoyment in getting out on my bike during the summer! There was nothing better than finishing work and going on a cycle in the long summer evenings.
- Some people will never change – as much as you want them to, some people are so stuck in there ways and even though you might want to, you can’t change that.
- Zoom fatigue is a real thing – I think everyone learnt this.
- Red wine is actually nice – after years of saying I’m not a red wine drinker, I went to Milan and my friends introduced me to red wine. I’d now go as far and say it’s my favourite colour wine…
- You don’t need Netflix to survive a lockdown – my card got blocked on Netflix so I had to entertain myself in any other way possible in lockdown, I tried painting, sewing, massive wardrobe clear outs, long cycles.
- Invest in yourself – if you want to get better at doing something, investing the money in being trained properly is so worth it.
- Invest your money – I always thought this was a scary concept, but it’s so much easier that I realised!
- Reading isn’t boring – I’ve never classed myself as a reader, and I am still pretty slow at it, but I read some amazing books in 2020. Another blog post to come on that shortly.
- The words furlough and unprecedented
- How to do a headstand! – I tried a bit of yoga and taught myself how to do an elbow headstand.
- Take days holiday – even if you don’t go anywhere, it is so important to take holiday days from work. It’s so important for your mind and you come back with a new energy.
- Keep your circle small – it’s better to have a small group of really close friends than a big group of half friends. Quality over quantity
- Sometimes it’s ruder to say yes than no – don’t say yes to something if you’re not going to 100% commit to it.
- I need to travel more – when the freedom of travel is taken away from you it makes you realise just how much you love it.
What did you learn in 2020?
Thanks for reading, Chloe x